Monday, September 22, 2008

What's that noise?


People had told me that after working with babies with developmental delays, you tend to be hyper vigilant with watching your own child's development. I really haven't found that to be the case. I have noticed though that when I see her learn new things, I find myself specifically noting it. For example, I have been noticing lately how good she does with localizing sound. Paul was holding her on his lap playing with a rattle toy. As he shook it on each side, above her head, or behind her, she immediately turned to where the rattle was. She has also learned the sound of the back door opening. Whenever we are playing in the living room when Paul gets home, she immediately looks toward the doorway when she hears the back door open. This skill can be especially problematic though when I am trying to get her to sleep or when she is nursing. If she hears even the slightest sound, she will immediately turn her head to investigate. That is why I have all these silly rules that ask Paul to follow when I am trying to get her to sleep. On the list of things to NOT do include: opening the front door, using the ice maker, closing the microwave door, and laughing too loud. He thinks I'm crazy, but if you have to put up with a cranky baby who cuts a nap short due to loud noises, you'd be on my side.

1 comment:

Randall Knutson said...

Wow, she is getting really cute. Her feet seem a little out of proportion though.